Finding a great roofing contractor can be challenging with all the competition out there.
With so many roofing companies, many of which do not provide the quality of service they claim to, it is no wonder that homeowners might be wary.
Plenty of roofing companies tout the many reasons why they are the best ones to hire and while they may live up to those standards, there could still be other issues to watch out for.
Viewed from a reverse angle, homeowners should avoid hiring residential roofing companies that exhibit these 5 negative traits!
- Not Licensed and/or Insured - No matter how great a roofing company’s reviews and warranties are, it is a major red flag for them to not be carrying contractors' liability insurance that protects them, their employees, and most importantly their customers. Additionally, unlicensed roofing contractors in areas where some kind of licensing is required could suggest the contractor is not as qualified as they say they are or they would be licensed.
- No Local Online Reviews - The first place that homeowners should look when screening residential roofing companies is online to read the reviews and testimonials of local customers. Word-of-mouth reviews from past customers posted to the contractor’s social media or directory pages will quickly reveal the quality of the contractor’s work, their business ethics, and whether other locals have had good or bad experiences with them.
- High-Pressure Sales Tactics - Roofing companies that use high-pressure sales tactics or try to get customers to sign a contract right away after giving an estimate should be avoided. Reputable roofing companies understand that homeowners may require some time to decide on a contractor, so they should provide the requested material and then leave undecided homeowners to think things over.
- No Warranty Provided - An experienced residential roofing company that is confident in its contractors and the work they perform offer a warranty on their workmanship as a measure of good faith. Those who do not and claim the manufacturer’s materials warranty covers everything are deceiving their customers. Avoid roofers who will not stand behind their work with a workmanship warranty.
- A Price Too Good To Be True - It is always a good idea to have multiple roofing estimates done when choosing the best roofing contractor to hire. When everything else seems perfect but a roofing company quotes a price that is far lower than the rest, this might be a red flag. Either they are quoting cheaper materials, they are leaving out important components to save money, or there is some other problem to watch out for.
Finding the right residential roofing company involves not just seeing which contractor can do all the right things, but also which one does not do all of the wrong things.
These 5 tips to avoid can hopefully help narrow the field for homeowners searching for the best local roofing contractor to help them out!